Sparkhall and Merchanthall

RobertF485

Sparkhall and Merchanthall

Post by RobertF485 »

Hello all,

I am working on a biography of my Broxburn-born grandfather, Thomas Forsyth, and am presently researching and writing about his ancestors and I wonder whether any members might be able to help out with some local knowledge on a couple of places (as I live south of the border).

Firstly, I have a William Forsyth (Thomas’ great grandfather / my great grandfather x 3), who was born at at a place called ‘Sparkhall’ (or perhaps ‘Spark Hall’). This may have been somewhere near Torphichen, but I am not sure.

Secondly, this William is later shown as a father in OPR Births in January 1825 as a shoemaker and a ‘tenant of Merchanthall’. Does anyone have any idea where this may have been? On their website, the Salsburgh Heritage Group states ‘The history of the present Village can be traced back to 1729 when it consisted of only four houses which straddled the old bridle road from Glasgow to Edinburgh. These houses were named Muirhall, Girdhimstrait, Merchanthall and Craighead.’ Would this have been a common name in the region, or would this Merchanthall likely have been the one?

Very many thanks in advance for any help with this.

Robert Forsyth
RobertF485

Re: Sparkhall and Merchanthall

Post by RobertF485 »

Dear All,

Ref my earlier question, I've solved the Merchanthall bit, but if anyone can throw any light on Sparkhall, I'd be interested and grateful!

Many thanks,

Robert Forsyth