Service Numbers

SuzyC548

Service Numbers

Post by SuzyC548 »

Hi

I want to order my grandfathers military records. I know he served in the Navy during the war but my mum doesnt know what his service number was although mum has his medals from the war she has nothing with his number on them.

I have the forms to order the records, but it asks for both his service number and his NI number but we dont know either. Does anyone know how I can find out what his service number was? I have tried putting his name into the national archives website but there is no return.

He survived the war so there is nothing in the commonwealth war sites.

Thanks for the help

Suzy
AllanMc134

Re: Service Numbers

Post by AllanMc134 »

Suzy,
I think you can order service records without service number and NI number, but they would make a search easier. With regards to service numbers, Ancestry uk has a set of records entitled 'UK Naval Medal and Award Rolls 1793-1972'. These list all medals awarded to seamen between these dates. They include medals for WW1 and WW2. I assume you are meaning WW2. Search for your Grandfather's name, and his service number will appear next to the medals awarded. However, you may end up with a number of seamen with the same name, unless your grandfather's name is unusual.

Regards,

Allan
SuzyC548

Post by SuzyC548 »

He doesnt appear on Ancestry

Thomas Douglas Meston Geggie (13 Aug 1921 - 26 Sep 1978)

I will go see my mum and look at the medals myself and work out which ones he has see if it gives me an idea whether it was actually the navy but my mum seems certain he was in the Navy.

I think he was only in for the duration of the war, rather than a career navy man.

Thanks

Suzy
SteveD301

Post by SteveD301 »

Suzy,
I got my Step-fathers details without knowing his Service number. but I was able to give the ship he served on. TNT provide the service which cost about £30 as I recall.
Good advice is given on the the Worldnavalships Forum www.worldnavalships.com you can view as a guest. Good luck.
Steve
DianaG376

Post by DianaG376 »

Maybe if you knew the address he lived at while in the Navy it would help.
GraceS568

Post by GraceS568 »

I got my dads service record without knowing his service number.You need either his date of birth OR service number. Only one is mandatory.
I sent a copy of his death certificate which named me as informant daughter.I had been told they would be a while but they came very quickly.
Good Luck
Grace.