Gordon

JimG432

Gordon

Post by JimG432 »

The name Gordon and in particular any information on Alison Gordon who had a son Henry Gordon born 1855.
AllanMc134

Re: Gordon

Post by AllanMc134 »

Jim,
Do you know where Henry was born?

Regards,

Allan
rhona

Post by rhona »

Henry was born 30 March 1855 at 6 Queen Street, Leith. His mother was Alison Gordon,age 19, Domestic Servant - No father on birth certificate.
I then have an Alison Gordon marrying a William Spinks from No 25 Queens Street, Leith (Alison was then living at No 8 Queens Street). I am taking this as being my Alison Gordon.
On the 1861 Census Henry appears to be living as a lodger age 4 with a Janet McDonald in Ellen Street Leith
On the 1871 Census Henry appears to be living with Alison at 24 Kirkgate, Leith with Alison as Head and he is called Henry Spinks (son) age 16.
So I presume that this is Alison and Henry. The next time he appears if Henry Gordon again.
AllanMc134

Post by AllanMc134 »

Jim,
Henry may bave been baptized, so you would need to check the local parish records. Since his mother was not married she may have been summoned to the Kirk Session to state who the father was. This may have taken some time, but she may have revealed Henry's father's name. {The Kirk Session may not have allowed him to be baptised unless she revealed the father's name}. Alison may not have bothered to add this name to Henry's birth certificate {she would have had to pay for it}. His fathr'r name would therefore appear on his baptism record. It may be worth checking the Kirk Session records to see if Alison and Henry are mentioned.

Regards,

Allan